3D Character CreationClass 11: FK Rigging
- Blend Shapes
- Class 11 Lab
Class 11 emerging
Reverse Foot Rig
The reverse foot rig does exactly as the name suggests. Using a joint chain that runs up the leg and IK solvers you create a leg rig that allow you to pivot from the toe, ball of foot, heel, and ankle. This is very useful so that a character can have steady feet.
IK Spline Spine
IK spline is a type of solver that positions joints along a curve. This is particularly useful for the spine since it acts much like a curve.
FK controllers allow the animator work in a forward manner. This is useful for a variety of situations such as the arms.
Set Driven Key Hands
Set driven keys allow you to record attribute values much like animation keys but instead of being tied to the timeline they are tied to other attribute values. For example, You can create attributes for each finger in a hand, then record the joint rotations of the finger joints at different values for those attributes.
Let’s finish up other missing rigging elements such as the eye rigging.
Blend Shapes: Blend shape deformers let you change the shape of one object into the shapes of other objects. Blend shapes do exactly what the name suggests. (in other software these are often referred to morphs or morph targets)
Blend shapes can be use for all sort of things:
- Transform one object into another (swan to a princess [difficult])
- Fix particular shapes (push the butt out when leg goes back)
- Use for simple animation (open/closed drawer)
- Add extra deformations (you could place a non-linear wave deformer on to a blend shape)
- Most common for facial animation (make all of your targets for a character’s face)
- All sorts of things YOU haven’t come up with (the sky is always the limit; fie on you sky!)
Facial Blend Shapes:
Blend shapes are still the preferred method for rigging the face.
Class 11 Lab
FK Rigging Lab
In this lab you will produce FK (forward kinematics) rigging on the arms and head of the character.
You will be graded on the following:
- Lab Requirements
Techniques and processes covered in the instructional material is followed and implemented.
- Creativity & Craftsmanship
Excellent design choices, novel & appealing, and solid clean caliber work.
- Assignment Video Tutorials
- You may watch the tutorial videos below to help you complete your assignment.
Assignment Video Tutorials
Wait! Before you go!
Did you remember to?
- Read through this webpage
- Submit Class 11 FK Rigging Lab on Blackboard