3D Character CreationClass 07: 3D Painting
- Human Model Project
A classy class
Like all projects it is best to work broad to specific.
Texture Painting Process:
- Primary Colors
- The first step is to simply apply the main areas of color over the entire model.
- Secondary Colors
- After the entire model has been painted the next step is to paint secondary colors, things like patterns, stripes, logos, text, etc.
- Apply varied colors that broadly appears like the primary and secondary coloring (ex. if you look at skin you will see a ton of variation).
- Using both color and bump mapping you will add the texture of the surfaces.
- Add minor details. You should attempt to produce surfaces that show history. This is usually best achieved by using grunge maps.
- In order to make a model really pop it is usually best to darken areas that recede and lighten areas that ascend. It is also a good idea to add redness at the superficial areas of skin.
In order to use what you have created in production you must export the following:
- Lo-Res Model: The lowest polycount geometry acceptable should be utilized for more responsive playback in games or video production.
- Diffuse/Color Map: This obviously holds the hue and value information. This is the most important texture image.
- Specular Map: If the model has varying “shininess,” then an achromatic (usually) texture image is used.
- Normal/Bump Map: This texture stores the detail and surface irregularities sculpt on the high poly model as an image. This will “fake” the details onto the lower res model.
- Specialty Maps (transparency, incandescence, height, etc.): Other texture images may be used to apply different properties to the model’s surface such as being see-through or light emission.
Human Model Project
Human Model Project
The first assignment is to complete a realistic human model. It doesn’t have to be an absolute human. What that means is that you may do an elf, dwarf, or other humanoid person.The model should be as accurate and believable as possible. The final product should be something that would be suitable for a triple A game.
You will be graded on the following:
- There are no errors in the geometry. Few tris used. Appropriate polycount.
- Gridflow is strong. Topology follows architecture well. Should fully support quality deformation.
- Well-crafted UV’s and elaborate materials are developed. Painted textures are fully developed with a strong sense of color theory. Fully “fleshed” out details are included.
- Creativity & Craftsmanship:
- Well structured, clean model. Novel, unique design.
- Assignment Video Tutorials
- You may watch the tutorial videos below to help you complete your assignment.
Assignment Video Tutorials
Wait! Before you go!
Did you remember to?
- Read through this webpage
- Submit the Human Model Project